In 2018 the University of Northampton Students’ Union became the proud owners of the Engine Shed.
Built in the early 1870’s for the Midland Railway to service trains on the Bedford to Northampton line, this fantastic Victorian building had a long and sometimes hard life. After over 50 years of servicing trains, the building was first converted into a workshop, then a Welding School for British Rail Engineers, before finally closing in 1998. Although the shed received protection as a Listed Building in 1995, an Arson attack in 2000 gutted the building, and it was left to decay, unloved and forgotten.
Salvation for the building came in 2014, when the University of Northampton bought the site for developing its new Waterside Campus. After initially struggling to find a viable and sympathetic use for the building, it was decided to turn the building into the new home for the Students’ Union. With the support of a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Engine Shed has been lovingly restored and reinvented to become the new home for Student Union services.
This website tells the Story of the Engine Shed.