This office was built by the LMS sometime in the early 1920’s to replace an earlier set of railway office buildings and the Foreman’s house. Built in a neo-classical style with decorative features, this was always intended to be an impressive building. This was after all the public face of the LMS goods yard, where people would come to organise the transport of their goods.
The ‘ghost sign’ on the side of the building is hard to read, but you can make out ‘LMS…Coal and Cattle Station.’
The interior of the building has concrete floors and stairs, which is unusual for a building of this period, inside the offices were much less decorative than the outside. The offices were closed in the 1964, and at some point suffered some fire damage inside. As the photographs taken in 1999 by Northamptonshire Archaeology (below) demonstrate, by the turn of the century the offices were in a poor state before being converted into flats.
As the map above shows, where the LMS Office stands used to be a junction. South Bridge Road used to run east from this corner, parallel to the river. This gave road access to the businesses along the waterfront, and led down to what was originally a recreation ground, named the Midland Field, which became the site of the Northampton Greyhound Stadium in 1928.