The Hardingstone Crossing originates from the 1840’s when the London North Western Railway built the Northampton to Peterborough Line. In order to install a line through this water meadow they had to build a series of culverts for drainage. They also had to maintain a pedestrian crossing where the line crossed Nunn Mills Lane. The junction was heavily modified in 1870-2 when the Midland Railway constructed its Bedford to Northampton Line. This was the site of a junction where the Midland line split, with one line taking passenger services into St John’s Station, and the other line taking traffic to the Engine Shed and goods yard.
A signal box controlled this junction and the level crossing where the railway crossed Nunn Mills Lane. This unassuming spot actually has an unfortunate history, with several recorded suicides, fatal accidents and even an attempt to derail a train in 1898, labelled the ‘Hardingstone Crossing Outrage’.
The above photographs show the remains of the pedestrian crossing today. Nunn Mills lane still exists as a public footpath linking Waterside to Ransome Road and Delapre Park.