Prior to 1914 this remained open meadow. However Ransome Road was developed around the construction of the new Permanent Way Depot by the London North Western Railway. Included in this development was the construction of Claughton Road, named after then chairman of the company Sir Gilbert Claughton.
This road has altered little since then, and includes eight pairs of semi-detached workmen’s houses, one pair of larger semi-detached for managers and a single detached property for the Yard Master. The entry gate to the Permanent Way depot can still be seen next to the Yard Master’s house.