The Old White Hart we see today is not the first pub on this site to bear the name. The earliest reference to the pub, found is an advertisement for patent medicine from the Northampton Mercury 1724. There was originally set of six tenements running west-east alongside the inn, known as White Hart Row, and a large yard at the rear, reflecting its use as coaching inn. There were also tenements and workshops facing onto the road between here and the grain warehouse.
Several of these tenements and the original inn were demolished around 1902, as the Borough council wished to improve and widen the road. The new pub, was unsurprisingly a popular venue for the Railway workers and seems to have regularly been used for official dinners such as retirement parties.